Ember JD Blog

Amlin emergency flood response

Written on 24 Feb 2014 by Steve Hayton

An Amlin emergency flood response dedicated helpline number and email address is now in operation. For existing Amlin policyholders who have flood insurance in force. The contact details are as follows: Telephone 01245 396244. Email address ERT@amlin-insurance.co.uk.

Flood watch

Written on 8 Jan 2014 by Steve Hayton

With all the wet stormy weather that has hit the UK for the past few weeks we recommend regularly checking the Environmental Agency flood warnings summary. The summary is updated every 15 minutes, so really provides worthwhile information to interested parties. If you live or have property within a recoginsed flood risk location, you can […]

UNA Alliance member

Written on 6 Nov 2013 by Steve Hayton

Ember JD is a UNA Alliance member via our parent company. Our insurance group is a founding member of the UNA Alliance (formerly Unitas), when established in 1997. The broker alliance Offers an alternative to other sources of insurance, such as direct insurers and national brokers. The advantages of coming together as an alliance is […]

Dual use home insurance

Written on 16 Oct 2013 by Steve Hayton

It’s always advantageous to have one policy in place covering the risk at the same address. When there’s more than one policy and insurer involved disputes can occur as to who is responsible, in the event of a claim. This can at best delay matters for the policyholder, caught up in the cross fire between […]

Contents in storage

Written on 1 Oct 2013 by Steve Hayton

We are pleased to offer a home insurance with the facility to insure all or part of your contents in storage. If your circumstances change during the period of insurance and this becomes a requirement. All items must be kept within a professional storage facility. Valuables are defined below would be excluded: Items of gold, […]

Non standard construction

Written on 18 Sep 2013 by Steve Hayton

Insurers need to know about non standard construction, whether it be the external walls or roof. As acceptance, premium, cover or terms could be affected. We can cater for a variety of different constructions including: Timber framed, with brick, plaster panels or cedar clad walls. Wattle and daub. Cob. Homes roofed with fibreglass, metal, rubber, […]


Written on 5 Sep 2013 by Steve Hayton

If you are childminding from home you would need to notify your home buildings and contents insurers and they would advise you whether cover can be continued. If your current provider will not continue your insurance or you are looking for an alternative, we can offer home insurance for registered childminders. Subject to the maximum […]

Workmen in the home

Written on 29 Aug 2013 by Steve Hayton

If you’re having building and other related works done in your home then we recommend advising your insurer. Especially if during the period you will be moving out. Depending on the nature of the works the insurer may be willing to continue cover with terms attached. In addition to the occupancy the insurer will need […]

Transfer of interest of a home

Written on 14 Aug 2013 by Steve Hayton

On occasions there can be confusion about what to do when buying and selling a home, when it comes to arranging buildings insurance. In particular ensuring that cover remains in force and dealing with the transfer of interest of a home. The first example of cover for buildings insured under an existing policy is a […]

Student contents

Written on 9 Aug 2013 by Steve Hayton

Depending on the insurer, cover for sons and daughters possessions when going to college, university, polytechnic or boarding school may be included under the parents home contents insurance. Provided that outside term time the children come home. In this instance insurers may treat the possessions, student contents, they take with them as being temporarily removed […]