Ember JD logo image
Insurance since 1919

Unoccupied Home Insurance

Ember JD is a UK home insurance broker, established in 1919. Offering competitive quotes and quality cover for Unoccupied House Insurance. When the home is unoccupied for a short period or empty on a long term basis.

An empty room of an unoccupied_home
Unoccupied home insurance

Unoccupied Home Insurance | Short term 3, 6 or 9 month policy

Our Unoccupied House Insurance covers empty houses and bungalows, for buildings or buildings and contents combined. There is a choice of short term 3, 6 or 9 month policies, with an option to take out further short period insurance if the house is still unoccupied.

Our short term policies are suitable for a variety of different circumstances.When insurance for a full year might not be required. The unoccupied house could be up for sale, going through probate or confirmation in Scotland. In which case we deal with the executors or solicitor or just been purchased but you’re not ready to move in.

If you are planning to have some refurbishment or maintenance works done during the insurance period, we may still be able to offer cover. Subject to the maximum price of the works not exceeding £50,000 in total if being carried out by a contractor. When you are carrying out the works the limit is £10,000. Whatever the reason for the unoccupancy we will try to find a solution at our best possible price.

In addition to insuring the buildings and if required the contents, our Unoccupied House Insurance policy also includes as standard property owners liability cover and personal legal expenses cover.

  • Short term 3, 6 or 9 month policies, with option to take out further cover.
  • Good range of cover for Buildings or Buildings and Contents combined.
  • Cover generally available when low level refurbishment is taking place.
  • Property Owners Liability cover included, with a £2,000,000 indemnity limit.

Buildings sum insured

If unsure about the buildings sum insured, we recommend seeking the advice of a building surveyor. You may be able to access a surveyor via your estate agent if you have the property up for sale. Alternatively you could use the BCIS website as a guide: click. Free of charge, all you need to do is register with an email address and follow the instructions.

Contents sum insured

Contents in an empty home would be restricted to carpets, curtains, furniture, beds and any free standing domestic appliances. Not built into the kitchen. Excluding personal effects, valuables, electric equipment and works of art. You could use our contents calculator to work out the sum insured required, remembering only to factor in the items that would be insured. Link as follows: House contents calculator.

To continue with your short term Unoccupied House Insurance quote please click the Quote Form button below. We will then email you our best quote.