Ember JD logo image
Insurance since 1919

Home & Annexe Insurance

Ember JD is a UK home insurance broker, established in 1919. Offering competitive quotes and quality cover for Annexe Insurance. Insuring the main residence and annexe / granny flat under one policy.

View from the patio window of home and annexe insurance
Home and annexe insurance

Annexe Insurance | One policy for your home and annexe

A main residence with a self-contained annexe is becoming common, offering flexible living accommodation for families, or if rented out, a source of income. Our Annexe Insurance is designed to accommodate the separate dwellings together. Even when there is different living arrangements. Regardless of whether the annexe is attached to your home, a loft conversion or detached within your grounds. Welcome news as often having more than one dwelling seems to put insurers in a spin and they refuse to quote. Our policy can cater for the annexe being used for a variety of different ways:

Main residence with annexe with variety of occupancy types

  • Short term holiday lets;
  • Bed and breakfast accommodation;
  • Occupied by lodgers under a lodger agreement;
  • Lived in by family member(s) on non-profit making basis;
  • Short stay for visiting family and friends on non-profit making basis;
  • Let under an assured short-hold tenancy agreement to professional tenants.

Buildings, legal liability cover, plus options to include contents & much more

The buildings sum insured would cover all domestic buildings on your land. Including your main home, annexe, garage(s), outbuildings, including sheds and greenhouses, swimming pools, solar panels and fixtures and fittings. Furthermore your contents sum insured would apply to your main home, annexe, garages and outbuildings. Claims settlement is on a new-for-old basis, so for your part, please ensure the sums insured you request on the quote form are sufficient to reinstate and replace on the same new current basis.

Automatic cover extensions

In addition to having the flexibility to offer great quotes, our policy comes with essential cover extensions for your protection. Automatically included free of charge, when you let the annexe and insure your buildings and contents with us:

  • Property owners liability insurance, covering your legal liabilities for accidents to lodgers, tenants and paying guests in holiday lets with a £2,000,000 indemnity limit plus agreed costs, or £5,000,000 for an additional premium.
  • Loss of rent and the cost of your temporary accommodation. If disaster strikes and the home and annexe become uninhabitable following insured damage. Such as a fire or flood claim.

Liability insurance

Covering your legal liabilities as the civil defendant.
Our buildings insurance automatically includes property owners liability cover. Also known as public liability, to the general public. This includes tenants, lodgers and paying guests staying in the annex. The contents policy includes occupiers liability insurance for you the homeowner. Again towards the public, incorporating those paying to stay in the annex. When it comes to tenants, lodgers or paying guests, possessions damaged or lost as a result of your negligent acts or omissions, would be insured under the liability section. In the same way that bodily injury to third parties is covered.

Cover options

Like any quality home insurance you can build the cover to suit your requirements by adding on extensions.

  • Full accidental damage cover extension
    For both buildings and / or contents. Even when you rent the annexe out and if you, in addition, have tenants, lodgers or paying guests sharing your main home with you.
  • Personal possessions away from home
    Items you wear or carry about your person. This could be jewellery, watches, laptops, mobile phones, bicycles, personal money and credit cards. Cover away from home is also a charge extra. Depending on the different sub-types of cover required and the sums insured needed.
  • Malicious Damage by tenants, lodgers or paying guests
    Can be included for an additional premium, subject to terms and conditions.
  • Theft by tenants or lodgers
    Can be included for an additional premium, subject to terms and conditions.
  • Family legal expenses
    Covering the policyholder(s) and family members living in the home as the civil plaintiff (taking out legal action against another party) for personal injury, identity theft and much more.
  • Landlord Legal Expenses
    When the annexe is let under an assured short-hold tenancy agreement landlord legal expenses for legal costs for breach of tenancy agreement, pursuit of rent arrears, eviction and legal defence.

Get a suitable quote

Moreover we offer insurance suitable for family occupied or dual occupancy. The quote form is simple, easy to complete, with help prompts to assist you. Questions are relevant, which allows you to fully divulge all of the information about the risk and your requirements on the form. To continue with your Annex Insurance quote please click Quote Form button and submit your details.

Documents without delay

Once you complete the online quote form you will receive a quote. Laid out in an easy to read format, with supporting documents. Hopefully you will like the price and the cover offered. Insuring your home, annexe and liabilities. You will also be provided with a 100% secure link to pay the premium. Alternatively you can ring us during office hours and make the card payment. After you have paid we will then email you the full documents. You can also ask us to to post the documents, at no extra charge.

About us

Ember JD is part of one of the oldest insurance groups in the United Kingdom. Established in 1919. Our office has been running since 1970. Focusing on property insurance. Most of the policies we offer are issued by us. Under a dedicated authority scheme. As underwriting managers and administrators on behalf of insurers. We are trusted to make decisions on behalf of insurers. Based on our long history within the industry. All claims for home and annexe insurances are dealt with by the insurer’s claims department. Who offer a 24/7 contact claims service.

Above all, our task, as authorised insurance administrators, is to ensure that the correct policy is issued. Based upon the risk information you provide in the online quote form. Including your cover choices. Whether it is policy with optional extensions, like cover away from home, or malicious damage by paying guests. Alternatively you may require a straight forward insurance, with a large voluntary excess with premium discount, to maximise the reductions.