A review of the home insurance policy from Amlin, designed to cover the policyholders’ home buildings and/or contents at their main residence. The majority of UK standard home policies cover the same causes of damage and loss, regardless of the provider, so it’s the range of additional benefits that set insurers apart.
First the overall benefits included free of charge, whether you have building or contents. Family legal expenses tops the list, most insurers charge around £20 for this so it’s a useful add-on. The exceptions are policies covering more than one residence such as flats or shared homes with a number of co-policyholders. Helplines also come as standard as long as you have a policy in force, including domestic emergencies, medical information and counselling and legal and tax advice.
Additional covers under buildings included free of charge
The definition of buildings includes solar panels and fitted carpets in common parts of blocks of flats belonging to the insured. Useful extensions not usually included by other providers.
A range of accidental damage covers is included under the standard perils for fixed glass (windows), sanitary ware, ceramic hobs, underground services, septic tanks and drain inspection covers the responsibility of the homeowner. The full accidental damage extension can also be included for an extra premium, in case you put your foot through an unboarded loft or drill a hole in the wall and go through a water pipe. A brief list of the other extra benefits within the buildings policy are as follows:
- Loss of rent payable to you and the cost of your temporary accommodation including domestic pets of up to 25% of the sum insured if the insured home becomes uninhabitable following insured damage, such as a fire or flood.
- Additional costs and expenses in the event of a claim, such as architects and surveyors fees, shoring up, demolition and the removal of debris and the cost of compliance with government or local authority requirements.
- Transfer of interest, available to the new purchaser of the home insured by Amlin from the date of exchange until the completion provided no other insurance is in force.
- Emergency access, the damage caused by forced access into the home due to a medical emergency or to prevent damage to the home.
- Up to £1,000 for the cost of restoring the gardens and clearing drains caused by the emergency services whilst attending the home due to insured damage, such as a fire.
- The trace and access cover under the buildings section of up to £5,000, in the event of an internal water leak from a pipe and a tradesman has to search for the source of the leak by removing bathroom tiles or taking down part of a ceiling.
Additional covers under contents included free of charge
Again an element of accidental damage cover is included free of charge under the standard perils cover, such as televisions and home computers. The full accidental damage extension can be included for an extra premium to cover mishaps around the home, such as spilling things on carpets or dropping a vase. The other extensions under the contents section are as follows:
- Up to 15% of the sum insured for contents temporarily removed from the home, but kept within the UK.
- Up to £2,500 for contents at boarding school, college or university with a family member who resides at the insured home outside term time.
- Cover for household removal within the UK whilst in transit, with conditions applied to china and other brittle items and scratching and bruising.
- Like the buildings cover loss of rent payable to you and the cost of your temporary accommodation following major insured damage comes with the policy, up to 25% of the sum insured.
- Tenants liability, a useful extension for those living in rented accommodation of up to 20% of the contents sum insured if you as a tenant are legally liable for damage to the building.
- Loss of home keys and the replacement of locks of up to £500.
- Spoilt freezer contents cover of up to £500 due to malfunction or a rise in the heat.
- Loss of metred water and oil of up to £2,500 as a result of accidental damage to the water or heating system in the home.
- Fatal death benefit of £10,000 for the policyholder and spouse caused by fire or thieves in the home.
- Office contents of up to £5,000 or 10% of the contents sum insured, whatever is the lesser.
- Emergency access, damage caused by forced access due to a medical emergency or to prevent damage to the contents.
- visitors and domestic employees personal effects insured up to £1,000, unless already insured elsewhere.
- Wedding, birthday, anniversary or religious celebration gifts of up to £5,000 in the home.
Overall the Amlin Home Insurance policy rates highly with us. If you would like a quote from us as an Amlin approved home insurance broker please visit our homepage to submit an online quote request or call us on 020 8941 2204 during office hours.
★ The review was based on the Amlin policy used by Ember JD Insurance Brokers, which offers enhanced cover in addition to the standard wording.