Tag Archives: maisonettes

Leaseholders and kitchens

Leaseholders and kitchens, or specifically what happens when a flat or maisonette leaseholder installs their own kitchen, is there cover under the freeholders buildings insurance….First things first we would suggest that the leaseholder checks with the freeholder or management company to see whether there is cover. Installing a new kitchen is a major financial investment and accidents can happen, such as a fire or escape of water damage. The average new kitchen costs an average £8,000 (2018), so as well as enjoying it you want to protect it as an investment and for a future sale of your home.

We offer leaseholders the opportunity to purchase cover for their kitchen or bathroom and other fixtures and fittings they have installed, as well as contents insurance under one policy.

Leaseholders and kitchens

leaseholders and kitchens


For a quote please use the link below.

Leaseholders Improvements Insurance


Bathroom insurance

Bathroom insurance, you certainly cannot insure just the one room in your home. All of the bathroom fittings would be covered under a buildings insurance. We are blogging about a fitted bathroom paid for by the leaseholder in a flat or maisonette. Depending on the wording under the freeholders or management company’s buildings insurance the leaseholder’s bathroom may not be insured. kitchen insurance

When a leasehold takes the decision to replace the existing bathroom he or she is only thinking about the extra comfort this enhancement will bring, plus maybe more money on the selling price. It is unlikely they will realise that their investment may not be insured. Our advice is to check the block buildings insurance policy wording. If you kind yourselves in the situation where no cover applies then maybe we can help. We offer quotes and cover along with your contents insurance, with a variety of options for you to select.

Leaseholders for more details and a quote please follow the link: leaseholders improvements insurance

Concrete or timber floors

Concrete or timber floorsUsually when you are looking for flats and maisonettes insurance you will be asked whether the dwelling has concrete or timber floors. The answer may have an effect on the premium, but generally not the terms. Blocks of flats and maisonettes with timber floors can be higher rated. As wooden floors don’t retain water as well as concrete. Worse case scenario would be an escape of water from a pipe or domestic appliance in the top floor flat. There’s far more chance that water could seep down from the top flat in the building to the bottom floor. Damaging all the flats along the way. Leading to a far higher insurance claim.

As a rule conversion properties dating back a hundred or so years will have timber floors. Purpose built flats, generally built during and after the 1960’s would have concrete floors. The latter will the ability to keep water contained for longer, thus leading to fewer sizable claims.

If you live in a conversion flat, especially on the upper floors, there are some precautions you can take to prevent major damage from water leaks. If you go away ask someone to check your flat on a regular basis. If you’re unsure about connecting a new domestic appliance have it done by a tradesman. When possible check your pipework and radiators, in particular under the kitchen sink and the shower for signs of leakage. A few simple steps could lead to fewer claims and cheaper premiums.